Recipes Specifically Designed for Cats and Dogs
Crock Pot Formula
Water to fill
Water to fill
Meats (protein source): Chicken, Buffalo, Beef, Fish, Turkey (no skin)
Veggies: Celery, Green Beans, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Kale, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Carrots, Zucchini/Yellow Squash, Cauliflower, Broccoli, *Cranberries, *Blueberries
*If used, add five to ten minutes before crock pot batch is done
Grains/Legumes: Lentils, Barley, Millet, Quinoa
Herbs (fresh or dry): Cilantro, Basil, Oregano, Thyme, and Parsley
Chop veggies, add meat (big chunks are fine) to bottom of crock pot, top with veggies, add water, simmer for 8-12 hours on low (these can be toxic to your pet).
Bone Broth Recipe
This recipe make approximately 64oz of broth depending on how much water, how much you reduce the broth and how strong you like the flavor to be.
- 4 quarts of filtered water
- 1.5- 2 lbs of beef knuckle bones or marrow bones (or any other kinds of bones – especially oxtail, which lends added gelatin and a delicious flavor). Chicken necks are inexpensive and also work great.
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (organic, unfiltered - Bragg’s brand)
- 1 teaspoon 2x/day: 0-15 pounds
- 2 teaspoons 2x/day: 16-30 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon 2x/day: 31-50 pounds
- 2 Tablespoons 2x/day: 51-75 pounds
- 3 Tablespoons 2x/day: 76-100+ pounds
Dr Jyl Discusses Cooking to Keep Pets Cool - Recipes for Pets
Dr. Jyl’s Pet Pumpkin Pie Muffins RecipeYields: 12 Muffins
Ingredients:1 can organic pumpkin filling
½ tablespoon organic coconut oil
½ teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For muffin garnish, choose one of the following:1 small apple
1 small zucchini
¼ cup of blueberries
Recipe:Mix all ingredients together.
Grease side of oven muffin tin or microwavable cupcake holder.
Spoon-in muffin mix.
Sprinkle additional pumpkin pie spike on top of each muffin.
Place garnish on individual muffins.
Cook Time:12 minutes in microwave.
15 – 20 minutes at 350 degree oven temperature.
Let cool and serve.
Dr. Jyl Rubin DVM (916) 989-0738