Information on Pet Rescue and Injured Wildlife Resources

The following are sites in the Sacramento area that provide pet rescue services:

V.A.R.K. Veterinary After Rescue Kare founed by Dr. Jyl Rubin, D.V.M., provides care for "homeless" animals of all species and breeds

NorCal GSP Rescue: An all-volunteer group dedicated to the rescue and re-homing of adoptable German Shorthaired Pointers in northern California.

Homeward Bound Goldens: A volunteer organization which rescues and heals displaced, abandoned, and homeless Golden Retrievers and Golden/Labrador mixes throughout Northern California, no matter their age or health.

Injured Wildlife

If you find an injured wild animal or moved one from what you thought was a dangerous area here are some contacts.

If you have found an injured snake or lizard in the Sacramento area, please contact Sue Solomon at or (916) 486-4293.

It is important to understand that all animals can bite and scratch, especially scared, injured ones. Your well-meaning attempts at rescue can end up with you injured as well. California has laws and regulations concerning how to handle and deal with wildlife. In most cases, only licensed individuals can legally care for injured wildlife.

If you are at all uncertain of how to deal with an animal which you think has been injured, please use the following resources to get outside help.

Wildlife issues

Gold Country Wildlife Rescue
11251 B Avenue
Auburn, California 95603

Wildlife Care Association
5211 Patrol Road
McClellan Park, California 95652

Turtles and Tortoises
Sacramento Turtle and Tortoise Club

Department of Fish & Game
If you’re located in the Sacramento Valley
Our contact in the department for your general questions is
Phil Nelms You can send an E-mail to him at
**Note that he is in only once a week, so please be patient.
Additional Information:
Summary of select Fish and Game regulations regarding reptiles
and amphibians. For wild caught snakes or lizards contact NCHS.

Other organizations that can be of help:

Sacramento S.P.C.A.
6201 Florin Perkins Road, Sacramento, CA
Directions: Exit Hwy 50 west onto Bradshaw Rd. Travel 1.5 miles to Elder Creek and turn right. Travel 2.5 miles and turn right on Florin Perkins. The Shelter is one block down on your right.

Sacramento County Animal Care & Regulation
4290 Bradshaw Rd. Sacramento, CA
Directions: Exit from Hwy 50 west on Bradshaw Rd. Shelter is on Bradshaw near Keifer Blvd.

Sacramento City Animal Control
2127 Front Street, Sacramento, CA
Directions: Exit Hwy 50 west on 10th St. merge with W st., left on 3rd st, right on broadway & right on Front st. Shelter is on Front st. at V st.

Placer County Animal Control
11251 B Ave, Auburn, CA (in the Dewitt center)
Directions: Take I – 80 towards Reno, exit on Hwy 49 (grass Valley Hwy), turn left on Atwood Rd. Make a right onto Richardson, then turn left on B Ave. The shelter will be on your left.

AAARF (Auburn Area Animal Rescue Foundation)

Animal Outreach

Happy Tails

Pet Finders

SPIN (Sacramento pets in need)

Forgotten Friends

Gold Country wildlife

Sacramento Wildlife

Dr. Jyl Rubin DVM (916) 989-0738

facebook       twitter       linked In

The materials offered on this website are intended for educational purposes only. Mobile Vet Connection Mobile and Animal Hospital does not provide veterinary medical services, or guidance via the internet, or answer medical questions via email. Please consult your veterinarian in matters regarding the care of your animals.